Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Colic?!

Felicia had 4 good nights in a row and I kept telling myself not to get too excited about it! I am glad I didn't get used to 3-4 hour stretches of sleep in the night because last night was another rough one. Probably the roughest we've had so far, actually! I am not sure if she is just fighting sleep so much that she gets overstimulated or if she is uncomfortable from something like tummy troubles, but last night we started wondering if we are beginning to see a touch of colic.

For 3.5 hours we took turns walking, rocking, swaying, shushing, singing, reading, diaper changing, feeding (well, the feeding part was all me)...we tried everything we could think of. We gave her baby gas drops for the first time and I got her pacifiers ready (they were still in the package so I had to sterilize them by boiling for 5 minutes) but we didn't end up using them. We swaddled her. We even let her just lay on a blanket to kick and move around. The things that seemed to calm her most were: laying diaperless on her changing pad, leaning on my thighs while I rubbed her belly, sitting with me and reading stories (my voice calmed her, I think), and laying skin to skin on her papa's chest. Ultimately, laying skin to skin with The Bee put her to sleep (we are not sure if she was just so exhausted at that point or if it was what she actually needed). Now I have a sleepy little girl laying in bed next to me a 11am.

I am going to try to get out to the library with her today to check out (or at least reserve) some books/dvds about baby massage. I think that massage may be a good thing for her; if we can keep her relaxed we may be able to avoid the big wind up that we saw last night. Baby massage is also supposed to help with digestive issues. We don't think she really has tummy troubles because she poops and pees like a champ, doesn't seem to be gassy, and I haven't changed anything about my diet, but if that is the problem, massage should help. It was so hard to hear her crying like she was...at times she seemed almost hysterical and we couldn't comfort her. We felt completely helpless. Here's hoping and praying for a better night for this little love of ours!


6 comments:

  1. Sorry you guys had such a rough night :( (On a completely unrelated note, I have the sweater it looks like you are wearing in the last picture... you must have great taste ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate that not knowing what is wrong. The news channel just did a special on chiropractic care for babies. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet though. Felicia is just so adorable, I want to pinch those cheeks of hers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog through The Joiners. UGH! our son had colic (we think, never diagnosed) It was so tough, so I feel your pain. I remember walking around my house at all hours just trying to get him to calm and sleep. We used the mylicon drops a ton and the gas ones you have to keep in the fridge, seemed to help plus i cut out dairy. he did eventually get better and things got much easier, so hang in there! Drew was sleeping through the night like 10pm-7am, at 10 weeks so there is light at the end of the tunnel! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! Poor girl and poor parents, crying is no fun! I like that you and the hubster are working as a team. At this point, I think you did what any mom would do, keep trying things until something works! Praying that the little one just had a bad night and the rest of the nights are smooth sailing! She is seriously so adorable, and looks like you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I hope tonight is better! I'm looking forward to all you lovely friends of mine that are new Mommies giving us updates! I feel like I would have no clue what to do when a newborn doesn't stop crying :) I'm learning so much. Thanks for the picture too. I want to munch those cheekers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no - so sorry! It is so frustrating when you don't know what is wrong or how to fix it :( We just started using gas drops the other day too - they seem to help some of the time. I read somewhere too that when they're having a growth spurt, their bones might ache a little which might contribute to the fussiness. Not sure if that's true or not but it sounds possible. Anyway, hope last night was better and that you all were able to get a little more sleep!

    ReplyDelete