Wednesday, October 30, 2013

I'm learning

In the last few weeks:

  • I have learned to drive a manual transmission car. Out of necessity. I had been avoiding that like the plague for 6 years.
  • I have become a preschool-8th grade teacher. I have never worked with preschool aged children, save babysitting in junior high/high school and hanging out with my own nieces and nephews. Now I teach art to them twice a week. 
  • I have taught myself how to use GIMP (the poor man's Photoshop)
  • I am being trained as a reading tutor. 
  • I am realizing that I can't do it all. Lunches haven't been packed for my husband or myself for over a week. I haven't grocery shopped for almost 2 weeks. Laundry is done on a "as needed" basis. 
I am dead tired most evenings and so confused about the future that my school holds for me. There will be cuts next year, we've already been told. Do I plan on trying to stay? Do I quit no matter what they offer me and look for part-time work in a public school? Do I stay home for a few years? 

I figure all of the new things I am learning are protecting my brain from Alzheimer's (which affects people on my dad's side of the family). 

Thanksgiving break cannot come soon enough, though!

4 comments:

  1. Ugh, I'm sorry about stressful changes at school! That is no fun. But I'm proud of you for learning to drive a manual! That has always intimidated me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proud of you for learning to drive a manuel. I had to drive one when I was in high school but haven't since. I wonder if it is like riding a bike? I completely understand the lack of grocery shopping, laundry and not packing lunches. Someday soon it will slow down, right??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come on Thanksgiving!!!! We have Election Day off and I'm pumped for that. I'll take what I can get!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Driving a manual transmission car is no small feat! I burned the clutch in my first car, got an automatic and never looked back :) Teaching art to preschoolers might just be more challenging than driving a stick shift, though! Sorry about all the stress with school/work. I can definitely relate, just take it one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete