Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Summertime summertime sum sum summertime

I've been done teaching for about a week and a half and finished closing my classroom for the summer last Thursday! I still have some curriculum mapping (ugh, gag me!) to complete for work by the end of this month, but otherwise I am done with school until August! I haven't made much progress on my summer plans (reading, painting, major cleaning, embroidering, cooking, yoga) due to some family situations (a death and some relatives who have needed some unexpected child care coverage) but things are probably going to start calming down now.

We had our blood work done last Wednesday and everything came back fine. One strange thing, which the nurse repeatedly told me was NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT, is that my Measles, Mumps, and Rubella vaccination has worn off. So, I no longer have the antibodies to protect me against those illnesses and they can't give me the vaccination until after delivery. Apparently the vaccination wears off for some people over the course of time. So, I am just trying not to worry and in August I'll check in with the school nurse to make sure all of my students are current on their vaccinations. We were surprised that they did a second ultrasound at the blood work appointment so we were lucky to see that Ponyo has been growing right on track. My doctor was a little concerned about my protein intake since I am vegetarian and gluten free. If I don't gain weight on track or there is any concern with Ponyo's growth I will need to talk to a nutritionist at some point. For now, everything looks fine, though. Tonight we are attending a mandatory early pregnancy class at the clinic. It should be interesting. I think it is just a Q&A session type of thing.

We are still holding off telling friends and extended family our news for a few more weeks. We have told our parents, siblings, and grandparents, now, though, which is nice. Still hoping and praying that everything goes well and still hoping and praying for every one of you. I think about all of you often (is that creepy or weird? oh well).

8 comments:

  1. Happy Summer!! I think about all my blog friends often too...totally not creepy :) What a fun surprise that you got to see Ponyo at your appointment! Glad everything is right on track!

    I had a friend get the mumps years ago (so weird!) and her doctor said something about the MMR vaccine only being given once to kids her age and that a couple years later they started doing a series of two. I didn't know it could wear off too...I didn't tell you this to worry you, her case was extremely rare. You will be fine, my dear! Focus on cooking that bun, which you are doing a fabulous job of! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eek! I am a little freaked out about the vaccine thing. Like I am not already worried about enough other things, you know? Although, the way vaccinations actually keep us healthy is not by having them ourselves but by most of the population having them so the illnesses aren't really spread around anymore. At least that is what my scientific husband told me:) And the only person I have ever known who had the mumps was my Dad when he was 9 years old. Hopefully the nurse wasn't just trying to be comforting (since there is nothing I can do about it)and it truly isn't anything to be concerned with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for summer, yay for seeing Ponyo and ponyo doing so good! I have never heard of the vaccine wearing off, strange how things affect some people and not others I guess. And totally not creepy or weird, well at least in my mind cause I think about my bloggy friends and ones that I haven't heard from in awhile. Go get busy on your summer list of things to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So not creepy or weird. Sometimes I talk to P about you guys like we are friends hat have known each other for years haha. So glad everything looks good :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad things are on track with the baby and SO jealous of your summer off!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know why they even bothered to tell you about the MMR thing. Like you don't have enough to stress about anyway-- why not just throw in some random thing you can't do anything about, probably will NEVER be a problem...like the doctors were back there all "tee hee hee, let's just call her and freak her out!!! woohoo!!!" They also should have mentioned that there's a possibility you will be abducted by aliens. Or struck by lightning. Just FYI!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Summer! I think of my blogger friends too! :) Glad all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving having ultrasounds to see your little one! It sounds like you will have all summer to take care of your self and let little ponyo grow and thrive. I am doing the same...my curriculum mapping has gone out the door and will probably not happen until the week I go back to work! Summer is time to relax and mend from dealing with all of those crazy children at the end of the year!

    ReplyDelete