Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Gratitude : Day 2

Working in a school and not being able to have my own children can be a challenge sometimes. I work with other people's offspring ALL DAY LONG. FIVE DAYS A WEEK. And I get to see lots of baby brothers and sisters at school events. However, the joy tends to outweigh the heartache. 
One of my favorite parts of being a teacher is hearing some of the things my students say. They are HILARIOUS and way more entertaining than any professional comedian (except for maybe Russell Brand, that guy can seriously crack me up!). Sometimes they are also wise or say just what I need to hear. For example, here is a conversation I had with one of my Kindergarten boys on a day when I was feeling very blue about my fertility situation:                              
Kindergartner: Mrs. Bird, do you have any kids?
Me: No, I don't have any kids.
Kindergartner: That's okay! Are you a wife?
Me (laughing): Yes, I am! Here we are on our wedding day! (showing a picture of The Bee and myself that sits on my desk)
Kindergartner: Oh! That is important! Do you know what that means?
Me: What?
Kindergartner: It means he knows how special you are and he decided to love you. And he knows you are a good painter so he wants to stay with you. You can have kids later.
I couldn't help but smile and scarcely avoided sweeping that 5-year-old up in my arms for a giant hug. Today I am thankful for the wisdom and humor of children.

2 comments: