Saturday, September 8, 2012

First week of school!

The first week of school went so well! Maybe it is my years of experience finally making me realize how competent I am as a teacher or maybe it is my rapport with my students - this is my 5th year with many of them! Really, I suppose it is a combination of both of those things. I have been feeling well all day at school, but as soon as I take off my compression tights (still waiting on these ones, but they should arrive Monday so I don't feel like poor Ponyo is being crushed anymore), prepare dinner and sit down to eat, I am completely useless. My husband is having a hard time adjusting to me being exhausted because in the summer I would stay up with him, often until midnight or 1am. When I wasn't teaching, I could sleep in with him until he had to get up for work. Now I get up almost 3 hours earlier and am spending most of the day on my feet...I just can't function on 5 or less hours of sleep!

The kids at school are over the moon about Ponyo. My belly has received many hugs, rubs, and even kisses from my elementary students. One fourth grader made up a song that she sang to Ponyo, right up close to my belly, at recess yesterday. The most common questions/comments I have heard after the kids find out I am pregnant:

Will you RETIRE now?!

Is it a boy or a girl?

Do you want a boy or a girl more?

I think you should name the baby _________________! (in the blank they fill in their own name)

Will you bring the baby to school to visit us after it is born? 

When you bring the baby to school he/she can pose for us to draw!

I hope you have the baby on my birthday! (they say this no matter when their birthday falls...Ponyo, please don't try to come too early or too late!)

Who will be our art teacher after the baby is born?! 

I knew it! You are skinny everywhere except your stomach!  

Is the baby moving now? and 2 seconds later Is it now??

Here are some of the more uncommon funny things I have been asked/told:

You should take yoga classes from my mom! She teaches pregnant ladies. followed by another student with My sister teaches zumba! You should do that, too!

You should get a massage! (I like that idea!)

At lunch while I ate with my 4th graders yesterday, Do you always eat that healthy or is it for the baby? They might like a cookie, too, you know...

Some of the sweetest things:

A fifth grade girl, with teary eyes, I am so happy for you! I have always thought you would be a really great mom.

This 2nd grader at recess on the first day of school: Hey, Mrs. Bird, do you have a baby? Not yet, but I will in January! I KNEW it! I just KNEW it! Guys, guys...Mrs. Bird is having a baby! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

I love your baby, Mrs. Bird!

Here's hoping that my energy can keep up with my 350 original kids :)

One more thing: Our anatomy scan is this coming Wednesday. When we scheduled it, I thought it would never come! We are praying that everything looks great and that we get to see a healthy Ponyo :) We are still undecided about finding out if Ponyo is a boy or a girl. I am fine with waiting until the birth, but The Bee wants to know now. So, we may find out if we are having a little mister or little miss in less than 5 days!

4 comments:

  1. I am admittedly siding with The Bee because I totally want to know! I am guessing little miss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad school is going good but I know what you mean about being worthless after work and I am not even on my feet all day. The comments are so adorable I just love little kids! How exciting! Matt and I am went back and forth about finding out he was for I against but the more we thought about it was just going to be easier. My guess is little miss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word, those comments! SO cute! Students always get excited when a teacher is pregnant, don't they? One of my friends teaches high school and even they got super excited (and asked a lot of the same questions!)when she was pregnant...too cute! I'm sure you are an amazing, inspiring art teacher!

    Yep, I'm with The Bee too. I would wanna know!

    ReplyDelete