Sunday, September 2, 2012

Sexy and I know it

Thursday night was orientation at school! It was so fun to see all of my returning students and to meet some new ones (including my kindergartners who seem like spit fires this year!). After a day in my classroom, dinner with my co-workers (which included a lot of salty potato chips), and 3 hours on my feet handing out orientation folders in a very hot and humid, non-air conditioned school, I glanced down to see ankles twice the size they should be. My Mom always had swelling with her pregnancies so I knew it was a possibility that I would, too, but I wasn't expecting it this soon. So, when I got home at around 8:30pm I immediately put my feet up. When my husband got home about 2 hours later, my ankles and feet were still pretty awful looking. Thankfully, by the next morning they were back to regular size.

Friday, even though it was about 85 degrees out, I wore support hose to work. I have worn them on and off for about 5 years because I do have slightly bad circulation that can cause my feet and toes to get very cold in winter. The support hose work through compression and keep blood from pooling at my feet and ankles on long days at school (which, any teacher knows is spent entirely standing up and walking around!) which helps reduce swelling, pain, and fatigue. My regular support hose still fit but are pretty snug around my middle. So, I asked my Mom if I should order a size up for the school year. She laughed and said, "You just need to order maternity ones!" So, after much looking at online stores and checking actual store sites (like Kohls, Walgreens, Motherhood Maternity, etc) I found out that these hideous maternity compression pantyhose are pretty spendy. But, it is better than swollen ankles and even the possibility of permanent damage to my legs (my maternal grandmother who was a nurse (i.e. spent A LOT of hours on her feet)  and had 8 children has had multiple surgeries to strip veins, remove clots, and take care of other circulation related problems in her legs) so I ordered 2 pairs these:


My husband thinks they are HILARIOUS and said that I should stand like that whenever I wear them. He thought they were slightly less funny after I told him that I shelled out almost $70 for two pairs of these sexy things. So much for being one of those cute pregnant ladies, I guess!


6 comments:

  1. So I WOULD laugh my face off at you right now (you know, in a supportive way...) but I'm too horrified by the thought that your school has no AC, and that you will be wearing TIGHTS in a building with no AC. AHHHHH!!!! Oh, and also that you had to spend $70 on said tights!!!! That is truly a travesty, and you should be sure to throw it in your kid's face whenever he/she is old enough to appreciate it: "I had to wear UGLY TIGHTS for you!!!!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha I can't get that song out of my head now!!! I never would have known about those has you not posted about them...keep the tips coming :) happy first day of school!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeaaaaah! Sexy is right! My mom and her cousin were just talking about wearing (regular) maternity pantyhose during all their pregnancies because it was so against the rules for them to be sporting bare legs at work in the 70's and 80's! At least yours have a purpose :) I hope they can keep your swelling under control!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I ever get pregnant I am SO going to be the same way! My hands swell up so much when I go for a walk that I have to make sure to take off my rings before I go. I am a bit appalled by the price! I hope they don't run easy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehehe..Those are cute :) Glad you can have a sense of humor about your sexy pantyhose!

    ReplyDelete