Thursday, July 12, 2012

Heartbeat

Yesterday's appointment was uneventful (which I'll take as a good sign!). We asked a lot of questions about bug spray and stuff for our upcoming camping trip. Can you believe DEET is considered safe during pregnancy? I was shocked. Although, they recommend a diluted concentration and only putting it on your clothing. I'll be trying some other bug repellents first but bring the stuff with DEET as a backup in case the bugs are horrible. Ticks and mosquitoes are supposed to be much worse than usual this year due to the warm winter and all of the flooding up north. A friend of ours who is a nurse and just got back from camping in some of the same areas said there was a case of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever from a tick recently. I'd like to avoid that, thanks! I got my EpiPen prescription renewed (allergic to bees) so I don't die while in Canada. My doctor made me feel better about the mass amounts of fruit I've been eating because I was worried about too much sugar.

Then she used the doppler and we got to hear Ponyo's heartbeat for the first time! We have seen the heartbeat twice on ultrasound but Ponyo was still too small to listen in on at those points. She found it fairly quickly and it was strong at 158/160-ish beats per minute. Because I am feeling alright and the heartbeat was good we didn't need an ultrasound, so we don't get to see Ponyo again for about 7 weeks at the 20 week anatomy scan. I do feel quite relieved after hearing the heartbeat. It was different than seeing it, for sure. That sound was coming from a tiny person inside of me. Hearing that sound has made it feel more real than anything else so far.

6 comments:

  1. I can't stand conventional bug spray and will use it only in dire circumstances. The feel and smell are just something I cannot stand. Yay for hearing the heartbeat. I am sure I have asked before but are you guys finding out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay so glad everything is still going well!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO happy to hear everything is as it should be! That is surprising about the DEET. I don't like bug spray either, but I can deal with the dry touch stuff. I've seen some DIY repellants on Pinterest lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad everything went well at your appointment! They couldn't find my little buddy's heartbeat at my last one and it freaked me out! Have fun camping, it is one of the most relaxing things to be out in nature and just enjoying life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so exciting!!! Can't imagine how happy you and your hubs must have been to hear the heartbeat!! Hope you have so much fun camping and Ponyo continues to thrive :)

    ReplyDelete