Thursday, February 16, 2012

Caffeinated Brain Dump

I'm at work late tonight because I have a meeting at 7 and I know I'd have a heck of a time getting myself to come back to school if I drove home for dinner. So instead I decided to get my first and only sunlight of the day and walked to a nearby coffee shop.

Look at this forecast:

It's a gosh darn HEAT WAVE in the middle of February! This is normally our most frigid month in this part of the cold north! I didn't even wear my hat or mittens!

I treated myself to a medium mocha with dark chocolate. Yep, went for the medium...I figure I'd better indulge while I am still trying to put on a few pounds. I'm going to be that girl for a moment and I'm going to complain about my weight. I sit at 107 and have been eating whatever I want. Which is still generally very healthy food, but the amount of chocolate, juice, chips and cashews has definitely increased.  Now, before you go all judgey and eye rolly on me...please remember that I am a very short person (only 5'3"). Remember, too, that I have some dietary restrictions (gluten free and vegetarian). I am finding that attempting to gain weight can be just as frustrating as trying to lose it. Especially when you are trying to gain weight in order to get pregnant. And in order to cut down on the chances of surgical complications in a few months. I've read in more than one article that women with lower BMIs tend to have endometriosis more than women with higher BMIs. Of course, as every college course has taught us, correlation is not causation...however...some crazy part of me is like, "Oh! If I gain some weight maybe my endo won't become as severe and The Bee and I can have a baby!" I know, I know...stupid.

Okay, back to the REAL point of this post...While waiting for my medium mocha with dark chocolate, I started sort of maybe eavesdropping on a guy who was talking to another guy at one of the tables. He was talking pretty loud so it probably shouldn't be considered eavesdropping, but I also shouldn't have been so nosey. He said, "My son's mother..." and that is what piqued my interest. What a weird thing to say. Not "my wife", "my ex-wife",  "my girlfriend, ex-girlfriend, fiancee..." So I was like, "Oh, there's a story here!"

Here is some of what I gathered while waiting for my coffee:
  • He was 20 when his son was born
  • He had only been on 3 dates with his son's mother when she got pregnant
  • They didn't continue to date after she got pregnant
  • She was 24 at the time
  • She wanted to have a baby "to join the mommy club" because all of her friends were having kids at that time (those were his words...ugh)
  • He is no longer involved with this woman or his son, except for in legal (i.e. child support) manners
  • The whole ordeal has been "nothing but trouble" (again, his words)
This left me feeling like a crazy person! A 20-year-old and a 24-year-old woman who had been on THREE DATES get pregnant and have a son?! WHAT?! How does that even make sense?!

Okay. I should probably get back to work now. I just had to vent so I can focus on cleaning off my desk and photographing some art.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh that IS annoying... glad it provided you with entertaining listening material though :) And although I would LOVE to only weigh 107 pounds, I can see how that would be frustrating. If you need tips on gaining weight, I'm happy to help- ha! :)

    ReplyDelete