Monday, January 7, 2013

2 days until leave!

I talked to my principal this morning and he was supportive of my decision to start leave on Thursday. I suppose it is 2 fewer days to pay both me and my sub. I had one of my 6th grade classes, both of my first grade classes, and both of my second grade classes for the last time today. I will see both of my kindergarten, third, fourth, fifth grade classes and one of my sixth grades one more time each. It seems unreal. My partner teacher was not at school and won't be back until Thursday at the earliest because his 4-month-old is in the hospital with RSV. So, I won't work with him again until August!

I am not sure if it is the pre-labor energy burst, the fact that I squeezed into my compression tights this morning (quite a feat at 39 weeks + 2 days, holy cow!), or that I have a definite end to my time at school before Ponyo's arrival, but I am feeling alright tonight. Tired, yes. Achy,  yes. But not nearly as tense or freaked out. My sub is set for this week and next and I am making progress on my maps. As long as Ponyo doesn't come within the next few days, I plan to grocery shop and tidy up at home on Thursday. I will also try to rest a bit, but I want to spend a decent amount of time on my feet as long as I am comfortable. We need to encourage her not to want to stay in my belly for TOO long! The Bee would still prefer that Ponyo waits until her due date, but we are both feeling so ready to meet her! Surprisingly, The Bee will get more sleep with a newborn than he has the past several months due to his work schedule! I am thankful that his employer gives 1 week paid paternity leave on top of any PTO he decides to use when Ponyo is brand new. That is better than my benefits, which only pays me for any time I have saved in sick leave!

So, tomorrow I paint 4 times, do paper mache twice, and work with charcoal and soft pastels once. Wednesday, I paint once and then my sub teaches solo as I head out for my doctor's appointment at 1pm...then I am finished teaching for the school year. I will still attend meetings and professional development opportunities starting in February, but I won't be a teacher until next September. Weird. I have crazy mixed emotions about it all...I have been told by many that my concern for my job and the guilt I feel for taking so much time off will melt away once Ponyo is here. My partner teacher's sub (who is also the mother of 2 of my students) came and talked to me today. When I told her it was a hard decision to make about staying home for the rest of the year, she told me that I won't regret it...she stayed home with her sons for 14 years! That made me feel more confident about taking 7 months!

Two days from now, on January 9th, is the anniversary of me finding out that I have endometriosis. Never in a million years would I have guessed that I would teaching my last day of school and starting maternity leave a year after that doctor's appointment!

We feel very, very lucky.

Extremely lucky.

And so thankful for this child.

5 comments:

  1. Love you, friend! So excited for this new chapter in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto to what Erika said - I'm sure it is all feeling very surreal (and overwhelming), but what a great new adventure you're about to start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so exciting! I'm glad you were able to work it out to be done a couple days early. I hope you are able to get everything done and relax a bit before Ponyo's arrival! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome that he gets a week of paternity leave. Do you know how long he will take? Matt working from home has been the biggest blessing for us especially with me having a c section. Who would have thought a year later this is where we both would be!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got this girl! Not too much longer now, I am so excited for you and the Bee and am praying hard its a smooth delivery! And yes I second that, you are very lucky! Huge hugs and much love!!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete