Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Hospital bags

Seems like Ponyo is starting to get some ideas about wanting to meet us. Nothing telling us that labor is imminent, but things that are definitely signs that my body is preparing for her arrival. Frequent Braxton Hicks contractions, feeling her movements much lower than before, and possibly (sorry, this is gross) the loss of parts of my mucus plug over the last few days. So I thought I'd share what is in the hospital bags. I am getting very anxious (both in the excited way and the super nervous way) and want to make sure that leaving for the hospital is as smooth as possible.

We have 3 bags packed for the hospital. One (the smallest) is to come with us immediately as we check in and spend time in the delivery room. The other 2 can stay in the car until we move to the post delivery room. The highlighted things are items that I'll hopefully remember to pack on the way out the door (camera and makeup).

Small carry-on type bag (to come with us upon check-in at hospital):
Snacks for The Bee (and for me postpartum)
Book for The Bee
Book for me
Baby book (in case we can get the doctor to do the hand and foot prints at the hospital)
Juice boxes (apple)
Bendy straws
Knit maternity skirt for laboring
Knit robe for laboring (not full length)
Sports bra for laboring
2 pair grippy socks (for walking in delivery room/hallways)
Chapstick
Phone charger
Hard candy
Gum
Insurance cards
Makeup 
Camera

Suitcase (to be left in car until after delivery)
For Ponyo:
2 long sleeved onesies
1 going home outfit (layette with convertible gown/pant outfit, socks, hat, bib)
1 gown
1 pair of footed pants (to go with a onesie in case she is too big for her going home outfit)
2 burp cloths

For me:
2 pair underwear (a size bigger than I normally wear)
2 nursing tanks*
1 nursing bra
1 pair loose fitting sweatpants*
1 zippered hoodie*
1 boyfriend cardigan
1 pair maternity leggings
Toiletries (shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, brush)
TUCKS pads with witch hazel (my sister gave these to me and said to bring them, I'd rather not imagine why)
Breast pads
Lanolin
Heavy flow pads
Flip flops
1 pair grippy socks
1 pair normal socks*
1 button front nightgown
*these will be my going home outfit

Duffel bag for The Bee (to be left in car until after delivery):
1 blanket
1 travel pillow
2 undershirts
1 t-shirt
2 pairs boxer shorts
2 pairs socks
1 pair sweatpants
1 pair jeans
1 zippered hoodie
Toiletries (toothbrush, contact solution, etc)

To leave in the car until the day we get to go home:
1 car seat (obviously!)
2 car seat safe, fleece snowsuits for Ponyo (one from my Mom, and one from a family at my school. I think the one from my Mom may be too big, so I am bringing both)
1 minky blanket that matches the car seat canopy
1 empty duffel bag for any extra items we need to bring home (i.e. the extra diapers and the lovely mesh panties I have read so much about)

I also want to get some chocolates and fruit to bring for the hospital staff, but honestly I don't know if I'll remember to grab that on the way out the door!

Any other suggestions?

Megan, Scarlett, TheRedHead...what did you pack?




5 comments:

  1. You may already have it on there and it's possible I just missed it, but I would also recommend bringing a Boppy/nursing pillow with you if you plan to use one :) Sounds like you are all set though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no snacks packed mainly because I don't know what will sound good and 2 because Matt will come home to let the dog out so if I want something he can always grab it. I've got pretty much the same things except instead of books I have my tablet and laptop. Matt hasn't decided if he is staying at the hospital with me or not just because sleeping on a couch doesn't always agree with his back. Plus we are only 15 minutes from the hospital. Her outfit is picked out and car seat ready to go. Camera is charged and baby book ready. I just got our new insurance cards on Monday, I was never happier to see an envelope come from our insurance as I was to get those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you've got it covered and then some! What I found most helpful were socks for both labor/delivery and hanging out post partum. Chapstick for labor. I packed hard candies, but that was the last thing I wanted. I brought a large tervis tumbler and was constantly drinking water. You get so dehydrated that it was nice to always have a big glass of water at hand. Plus water is the only thing you can have until after you deliver. Wearing my own clothes after delivery was excellent so you are good there! Definitely bring the lanolin. I didn't bring it and my ladies were starting to get real cracked and sore. (I was also in the hospital for 3 days). A boppy is helpful, too!

    You will be great and that little girl is going to be super loved! If you have breast feeding questions feel free to email me. katie.shuster@gmail.com. I'm no expert, but I can always give advice if needed! It's not easy at first. I thought the nipple soreness was the worst, but after I got past that with lots of lanolin and ice packs, it has been fairly easy.

    Good luck and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty much packed similar stuff I think. I also have my heating pad (has felt good for back pain and I'm convinced I'll have back labor so maybe it'll come in handy?), a CD of piano music I listen to when I need to chill out, paperwork (copies of my advance medical directives and power of attorney stuff, the cord blood donation forms, etc), and my Kindle. Good call on the extra/empty bag - someone else just mentioned that to me and I need to add that to my stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this list, definnitely going to have to refer back to in the next few months...can't believe it's almost time. Can't wait to read that post about mommyhood. You and the Bee are going to be awesome parents...thinking of you!!

    ReplyDelete