Friday, May 4, 2012

Now is right on time


Recognize this, Erika? Haha! I love it and it was EXACTLY what I needed to read!

Today was rough to say the least. 

But this is my blog so I am going to write about it at length now. 

I painted with five of my classes today. Five. In a room with no sink. Normally that doesn't phase me (I am a painter and most kids love to paint, too, so usually everyone is happy). Well, today is CD28 and I am feeling super emotional. It has been pretty bad for the last 3 days, really. Take a super emotional, subfertile Art teacher and then have her paint with five classes in a room with no sink. Four of the classes were back-to-back. Then I immediately had recess duty. No time to even wash my hands before trotting out to the playground (because in case I haven't mentioned, there is no sink in my classroom). More than one event (minor things in retrospect) nearly made me tear up during those first four classes, which is not normal. I mostly had the stinging in my nose that I get before tearing up/crying. Maybe a little extra water in the eyes, too. Thankfully, none of the kids seemed to notice. They were too busy painting and doing this:


Ummm...blogger wants to show you this awesome, abstract Kindergarten mixed-media piece sideways for some reason.

Then I had my middle school class. And they painted, too. But not like you see in that photo above. They worked on painting their sculptures. They were pretty mellow considering they only have 19 days of school left (8th graders get out a week earlier than everyone else. Luckies.)

During that class I got a phone call from the surgery scheduler (I had called yesterday to ask some questions/get the ball rolling with setting up my laparoscopy). I didn't know until the end of the school day when I checked my phone. I called her back and left a message. Then I washed a ton of paintbrushes in the preschool bathroom (the closest sink which is the correct height for, well, a preschooler and it actually really far away from my classroom), packed up my weekend work and headed home. I was paranoid about missing her call back so I turned on my little hands-free thingy that The Bee gave me for my birthday last year. Sure enough, she called when I was sitting in traffic on the freeway!

Based on my expected cycle, my next CD1 (after tomorrow's) should be June first. Originally I was told they liked to do the surgery between days 6 and 11 of your cycle (after heavy bleeding has ended but before ovulation to avoid any undetectable early pregnancy) so I thought I'd be JUST making it for the tail end of the ideal time frame and not have to miss any school days. Well, it turns out they'd really rather do it a little earlier in my cycle. This is because of the early pregnancy thing (which made me sort of giggle, to be honest, because, let's face it, that is probably not much of a risk with me) and because a woman's uterine lining is thinner at the beginning of their cycle which helps them see and take care of more of the endometriosis. So, now we are looking at June 7 or June 8. My last two days of school. Or I would have to wait until July. Wait. Another. Month. After we've already waited six.

Cue freaking out. 

It isn't scheduled yet because she (the scheduler) was going to ask my doctor about June 8 being a possibility (she already has one surgery scheduled for that day). My sub-plan hating self immediately called The Bee (in tears) and told him the new info. He was calm and his only concern was whether or not I'd have to go back to school after the surgery to wrap up classroom prep for summer cleaning. As I was talking to him I realized that I think I can do it! I have no class June 6 (Kindergartners and 8's finish school June 1 and they are my only Wednesday kids) and I never hold class the last 2 days of school anyway (too many school events/teachers need their kids to clean and pack their rooms/I am trying to clean and pack my room). 

I can do this. 

Then I got home. I submitted a pricing/cost question form to the hospital to find out exactly what this will cost. Then I called my insurance (which is not the best since I work for the archdiocese). The insurance lady was very helpful (and impressed that I was armed with the procedure codes). Based on the fact that I have already met my deductible for the year and I have almost met the out-of-pocket max for the year...we should only have to pay about $200 out of pocket because the laparoscopy and tubal dye study don't require any preliminary authorization. Thank God! I asked her about 100 times in about 100 ways, "So, no matter how much it costs...it will be covered, save the $200 that gets me up to my out of pocket max?" She was very patient, thankfully. After I felt confident, I exclaimed, "That is wonderful news! Thank you so much!"

Then I called my husband again (crying AGAIN because I am an emotional, hormonal mess) and told him the good news. And I reminded him that, because I am a teacher, my insurance is reset in July. Yet another good reason to get this surgery over with in June.

So today has been rough. I am a wreck. But I am a hopeful wreck.

Time to listen to some Circle + Bloom and calm down.


7 comments:

  1. I feel like I just rode a roller coaster ride with you! That is so great that your surgery can happen sooner rather than later!! My lap. was completely covered except for $25 or something. I asked the billing lady at the doctor's office many many times if she was SURE it was all pre-approved? It's about time something is covered! Excited for you...good things are on the horizon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that is great about your surgery being almost completely covered! My insurance sucks. They just changed it last July and tried to tell us it was to "better serve" us! Ha! In reality, it was to save the church money. Still, I am THRILLED that we'll only have to pay $200 out of pocket...I thought it would be much worse. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, yes, I DO recognize that picture! Someone very wise must have pinned it. :) Well sorry your day sucked...but I AM super happy you are only going to have to pay $200 for the surgery! Any day you can get out of a dr office for "only" $200 is a good day in my book! And I'm very glad you figured out a way to do it in June. I'll be praying that your cycles stay on schedule with the plan! Or, ya know, for a surprise pregnancy first. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow $200!!! That's amaaaaazing. I paid $4000 for my laparoscopy in December =/ I hope that the scheduling with the surgery and your work will work out well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $4000?! I hope they gave you a REALLY good explanation of why it cost you that much. I told my husband about the discrepancies...all the same surgery, all insured, all US citizens...but because of different insurance it costs anywhere between $25 and $4000? That is ridiculous! I had been reading about the different amounts people paid and was fearing the worst since my insurance usually leaves much to be desired. I feel extremely lucky about what I found out yesterday from the insurance lady.

      Delete
  5. So glad all the details are falling into place- I know that is a huge relief! I'll be praying the same prayers as Erika :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So when I came to check up on your blog my amazing (not) work computer said your site was unavailable! I was super scared!! Thankfully, obviously, you are still here =) The insurance coverage is awesome! I have to still pay over $500 from my HSG yet which is whatever, I've just come to the point where I just fork over the money since I know it isn't going to be covered. Either way sounds like things are moving in the right direction! YAY!!!!

    ReplyDelete