Monday, December 3, 2012

Growth scan results

So, after 9 days of worry and many tears in front of family, friends and co-workers, we finally had our growth scan last Thursday. The Bee came with me (that man is so supportive, I can't believe how lucky I am most days!) and the ultrasound tech got Ponyo up on the screen right away. She was moving a lot and, once again, would not let us have a good view of her face. Her head and abdomen were measured multiple times to get an average measurement.

After all was said and done, we were told that she weighs about 4.11lbs, measures at the 36th percentile, and there was plenty of fluid present. She was measuring about 2 days behind schedule, but they said that at this point in pregnancy, it is nothing of concern. In addition, the tech and my doctor both said that, given my height and pre-pregnancy weight, she is the perfect size. The tech also told us that she already has a mind of her own. As I mentioned, she was turning her face away from us (and/or keeping her hands up by her face). She kicked the ultrasound probe more than once, too. I thought she was being kind of naughty (or "spirited" as I tend to a refer to my students who are less than compliant) but when we reported the good news to my mother-in-law she said that Ponyo is just shy, "and does that surprise you with you and The Bee for parents?" she asked. I guess it shouldn't because we were both shy kids!

After the tech told us that she looked great, I started to cry out of sheer relief. Then she looked around a little more and started laughing because she could see Ponyo's hair! It was long enough that it was sticking up off of her head like a fuzzy little halo. We also got to watch her practice breath for a little while. The tech said that she was doing a great job and that if we had done a non-stress test she would have passed with flying colors.

Despite the wonderful news, I am still finding plenty to worry about. Only about 6 weeks until my due date and there is far too much to do for work and home. We still don't have a long term sub for my job and people keep making less than helpful comments about possible candidates. Like, "You better hope they don't find someone better than you" and "They probably want to take your job from you." Isn't there some rule about not saying rude things to overly emotional women? There should be. I am getting really frustrated with 1. feeling guilty about taking time off for my family and 2. feeling worried that my job will be lost because I am trying to put my family first at the beginning of this new phase in our lives.

Thank you again for all of the well wishes and prayers - I know they have made a difference!

8 comments:

  1. That's great news! Glad the appointment went so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such awesome news!!! This makes me so happy for you and Bee and Ponyo. I love the spirited comment over naughty although I think Peanut chooses to be stubborn because she gets that honest from both of us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, hooray! Great update my friend. I'm sorry people at work are making you feel bad. That is one thing you should not be made to feel guilty about! Imma shaking my fist at those meanies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad everything went well!! Guess you can start forming your child-rearing discipline philosophy early, now that you know how 'spirited' she is!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! So awesome that your little girl is looking good! These next 6 weeks will fly by so try not to stress too much, especially about your job. It is way harder to replace a teacher than you think, they are just a sub! There is a reason why you were hired, and you will be fine taking your maternity leave.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such good news! Try to stay calm and relax, everything will get done...and what is wrong with people??? lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad to read that your test results were so positive! That's great news. I hope you are able to find some resolution to work issues and soon so that you can maybe relax a bit and enjoy the holidays before Ponyo arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its so wonderful to know that everything is fine! I am sorry I have been so bad in keeping up to date with my blog friends. Thanks so much for the recipe. Thats very helpful. Do you know where we can get brewer's yeast? I tried looking for it in local grocery stores but could not find it. Ponyo must be punching and keeping you awake these days...Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete