Monday, March 12, 2012

10 years

My 10 year class reunion is coming up this summer. For some reason my high school class held a five year reunion (who does that? weird.) that The Bee and I attended because some of our friends were involved in the planning. It was held a few months (i.e. 9 months) late so it was probably closer to a 6 year reunion, really. What a waste of an evening, in my opinion.

Again, some of our friends (and I am talking about real friends that we still see pretty regularly and enjoy spending time with, not just facebook friends or something) are involved in the planning of the upcoming reunion. One of them is actually the friend who is responsible for practically every good thing in my life. She was in our wedding and everything. And the reunion is being held ON OUR FIFTH WEDDING ANNIVERSARY!  Hahahahaha! So, thankfully, that gives us an easy excuse as to why we won't be attending. We didn't want to go anyway. Here are our other reasons:

1. We still see all of the people that matter to us pretty regularly. Many of us still live within a couple of hours of one another. Those who have moved further away visit from time to time and The Bee and I have traveled for a few of their weddings. If we don't see them often, we keep in touch via e-mail, telephone, text, snail mail, facebook...

2. Facebook has kept us in the loop with many people that we don't have 'real life' relationships with. I don't feel the need to spend my hard earned cash to go hang out with them and hear them regurgitate their facebook statuses and posts.

3. The 5 year reunion was painful to attend. It seriously felt like high school all over again (not the fun parts) for shy folks like me. I pretty much only talked to the people I mentioned in #1 of this list (the people that truly matter to us who we regularly make an effort to see in real life).

4. At the 5 year, not much had changed for a lot of people. The Bee and I were married at that point and I was wrapping up my Master's degree at the time. Since then, I have worked as a teacher using my Master's that I wrapped up 4/5 years ago and I am still happily married to The Bee. I don't need to go hang out with people to talk about that.

5. You didn't think I'd forget infertility, did you? Had things gone as planned, we would have a bouncing bundle of joy already. Instead we are pretty much where we were at the last reunion! It may be weak of me, but I don't want to talk about how we've been together for 11 years and married for 5 years (TO THE DAY!) and haven't started a family yet. I know people would make a big deal of it completely unaware of the pain they would be causing us.

So there you have it. Sorry, Class of 2002, I'll be celebrating five years of marital bliss with The Bee. See you in another 10 years:)

6 comments:

  1. Ohhh...you have no idea how much this resonates with me! My 10 year was in November and I didn't go. So many people that had been married after P and me were either pregnant or had babies and I just couldn't face it, I wasnt strong enough. P went and of course I got messages from people but in the end I know I made the best decision for me. I decorated for Christmas with a glass of wine and The Bee movie haha, definitely the better choice! And you're right, facebook gives you more than enough status updates haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to my 10 year in October and could very much relate to those same feelings... in the end, the reunion itself was actually great, but the family picnic the next day (with 8,000 kids) was painful for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your class isn't the only weird one, mine had a 5 year. I didn't attend that, nor my 10 year. I think reunions are exactly like you said...just like high school. I could tell just from seeing the pictures on FB! Five year anniversaries are WAY more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine is coming up next year and I am right there with ya! I DO NOT want to go and listen to bragging or competing to see who's got the 2-car-garage-2-story-brick-home with their minivan, dog, and 2.5 kids! Ha! No thank you! Those that I am still close to (and care about) I see and talk to on a regular basis. Plus your anniversary is a much more significant event to celebrate! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had a five year and coming from a small school (my graduating class had 39) nothing changed and nothing will change probably by our 25 or 30 year reunion. Hello small town America and you can cue the Cheers theme as well, where everybody knows your name. Don't get me wrong small towns do have their positives but when you have nothing in common anymore with the friends you hung out with in HS there is just no need to go. Now I'm sure I say this now and I will probably go to my 10 year next year but if not hopefully my excuse is that I can't find a babysitter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just had my 10 year reunion back in August and I'm so glad I didn't know I had Premature Ovarian Failure back then! I would have been so bummed to see so many pregnant people and people who already have like 5 kids. We didn't have a five year, so I was glad to go to the 10, but yeah. I stay in touch with the people I want to stay in touch with.

    ReplyDelete