Friday, March 30, 2012

Freaky Friday

Well, not really. More of an "I want to freak out" Friday. The kids were kooky but I can't blame them...I was ready to be on break before I even put on my casual Friday clothes this morning! The part that kind of made me want to fall apart was a conversation with the last pregnant lady on staff (the other 2 are home with their beautiful bundles). As she dropped off her kids she commented on a baby book that I had another class make for their teacher who had their baby about a week ago. The students wrote blessings for the new family and did phenomenal illustrations of mother and baby animals. Things like, "May you protect your baby like a mother lion protects her cub," and then they did a drawing of a mother lion and cub. I gave it to another teacher to bind (I don't know how to use that binder thingy) and she brought it to the office to share with the rest of the teachers and staff before she delivers it to the new momma. Enough intro to the convo...

It was pretty much just this teacher gushing about how the book was so wonderful and it made her want to cry because it was SO SWEET and she'd keep it out ALL THE TIME, blah, blah, blah. All the while rubbing her baby bump and talking about babies and pregnancy and hormones that make you so emotional about mother stuff. I was just like, "Yes, didn't they do a great job on the book? They were so creative." I was trying to end the conversation because 1. It was unpleasant for me. and 2. I had her class waiting in my room to start their project! Part of the beauty of handing that book off to another teacher to finish was that then I didn't have to think about it anymore. I know she didn't do it on purpose, but the conversation did not help me power through the next 80 minutes of teaching! And little does she know that I have a book in the works for her and the other teacher who had her baby earlier this month. I did not need all that, "I'm pregnant, too! I want a book! I want to feel special and recognized for my ability to reproduce!" hint dropping. It's in the works, lady. Just be patient. The kids already made their images and wrote their words. I just need to put the books together. That is one of the things on my spring break "To Do" list.

Looking on the bright side, I am officially on spring break in 2 hours! (tsk, tsk to me for blogging on my prep!).

5 comments:

  1. That is such a neat idea for a project! I'm proud of you for powering through and making them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are getting a break from work AND from conversations like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you are such a better person than me!! I don't know if I would be able to make those books for those people and/or have those conversations! Yay for spring break, hope you can find something fun to do...you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a good person. What strength you have to look your fears dead in the eye & push through with such grace.

    ReplyDelete