Sunday, December 18, 2011

Christmas Break: The beginning

The party with my co-workers on Friday was fine. There was a lot of baby talk going on (I don't feel upset about that - I mean, there were two pregnant ladies there and I'd be so excited to talk about all of that stuff if I was expecting, too!) but nobody asked any rude/prying questions. The only weird moment in regards to all that was when one of the guests offered everyone wine and I didn't really say anything, then she specifically asked me if I wanted some and I said, "Um? Sure!" When she brought me the glass I thanked her and took a sip and one of my other friends (who had a baby last year) was like, "OoooOOOooooh...you're having a glass of WINE?!" To which I responded, "Why, yes, I am!" And then we moved on. Phew. I can handle that kind of silliness.

Yesterday was fantastic! I got to see my best friend (we've known each other since second grade and were Maids of Honor in each other's weddings back in '07). We had some great heart-to-heart time about our infertility struggles. I believe more than anything that they will soon have a baby. These two are the salt of the earth and will be the most fabulous parents! I cannot wait until their time comes! I actually already have a baby gift for them, that is how certain I am!! It was great to finally be able to talk with her about this. We share so many of the same feelings and fears. I felt very validated (and a lot less psycho) after talking to her. We got some tears out and had a lot of laughs, too.

Today, The Bee and I took it easy at home. I have been drafting the Christmas letters for our 2 goddaughters and had a good cry when I read what I wrote to them last year. I made The Bee read them, too, and he didn't cry, but they are really good letters and I know our goddaughters will cherish them forever and ever!

One of our goddaughters is our niece who was born 2 years ago and the other is the 1-year-old daughter of a close childhood friend of mine (and now The Bee is close friends with her and her husband, too!). Something really cool about our goddaughters is that they are both twins! Our niece has a twin brother and our friends' daughter has an identical twin sister (I am proud to say that I can easily tell our friends' daughters apart - not everyone can!). The Bee and I are just PERFECT candidates for being godparents to girls who have twins :) Last year we started a tradition with them: we give each of them a piece to a Nativity set and a personal letter (lovingly written by yours truly!). We chose the Willow Tree set for both of them.

Years ago I HATED Willow Tree stuff. Now I love it. I like the fact that the figures don't have facial features. The viewer can imagine what the people look like and what emotion they are showing. I think the posturing is absolutely gorgeous as well. Every time I look at the Mary and Jesus figure I tear up! Last year we gave them the Mary/Jesus figure and this year they get Joseph. It was a big investment last year to purchase two nativity sets but now we are set with Christmas gifts until our niece is ten and our friend's daughter is nine! I do want to get them the ox, goat, extra shepherd and stable animals (which includes a really awesome camel!), and Crèche but those will have to wait for now (we have like a decade before we need them, anyway!). Here is what it will eventually look like when we get ALL of the pieces:

Tomorrow I am going to a morning yoga session before meeting my sister and nephew for lunch and Christmas cookie baking! Then I get to babysit said nephew! I think I love Christmas vacation a little too much!

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for twins AND for that nativity set- that's the one we have!!

    ReplyDelete