Saturday, December 10, 2011

"Just the right amount hippie"

On Cyber Monday, a facebook friend of mine posted a link to a business called  Inspired by Finn that sells Baltic amber necklaces and was having a 40% off sale. I knew about amber necklaces from a friend of mine who had a teething son a few years back and used one of these necklaces to help with the less-than-pleasant symptoms of teething.  My 1-year-old nephew has been having a rough time with teething so I sent the link on to my sister, then looked around the site for a little while and did some other internet research on the history and use of Baltic amber. In addition to the teething necklaces, Inspired by Finn sells adult sized amber necklaces and says that the succinic acid in them are beneficial to the human body in many ways including:
  • Pain Relief -   
Baltic amber contains analgesic properties and helps take the edge off of many types of discomfort associated with dental issues, headaches, joint pain, etc. 
  • Strengthens the body's immune system -
    In many different and subtle ways, succinic acid helps boost the body's own natural healing ability and immune system.
    • Restoring Energy -
    The human body naturally produces succinic acid. The salt of succinic acid (succinate) is one of the most active substances in the processes of cellular respiration and intercellular energy creation. Succinic acid restores oxygen and energy supply to depleted cells and helps the body return to a normal, functioning state.
    Succinate is a raw material and a catalyst in the Krebs Cycle which is one of our main sources of energy. During the Krebs Cycle carbohydrates, fats, and proteins are metabolized for energy.
    • Maintaining Wellness -
    When the human body reacts to stress, the body's cells begin to use oxygen more quickly. Oxygen plays a central role in the intercellular creation of energy, and a lack of oxygen can result in feeling lethargic.
    Oxygen is alkaline-forming in the blood and maintaining a slightly alkaline blood ph helps keep us healthy. Whenever the body functions in a state of low oxygen, it is much more susceptible to illness.
    • To help break a cycle of (chronic) inflammation -
    Where chronic inflammation is present, disease lurks.
    When the body's cells are chronically inflamed the human body's immune system response is to increase production of free radicals. Chronic overproduction of free radicals results in inflammatory-related disease. Chronic inflammation is a common denominator of many seemingly unrelated diseases.*

    Since I am at the point where I'll try practically anything (natural) to even my mood and reduce stress, I thought, "Why the heck not?!" and ordered this one:


    I felt a little sheepish telling The Bee about my impulse buy and started the conversation with, "I hope you don't think I am becoming too much of a hippie or something, but, you see, I ordered this Baltic amber necklace to help even my emotions and reduce the negative energy from our ttc stress...If it might help me cry less, I'll pay $25 to give it a try. And I know I am really into yoga now, too, but..."

    His response, "Sweetie, you have been a vegetarian since you were 4-years-old and you studied Art in college. You chose to teach Art for a living. I knew all of that about you before I married you. And I play guitar and have been to more than one Phish concert. You are just the right amount hippie for me." 

    So, have there been any results? Well, I've been wearing the necklace almost 24/7 for a week now (not in the shower or during yoga) and I have noticed that I am letting more stresses just roll off of me. And I haven't cried at all this week, so that's an improvement. And I have been more productive after work most nights. The Bee even commented on how downright chipper I have been a few of the evenings this week (sadly, he was specifically excited that I have greeted him at the door with kisses when he arrived home from work each night, which he pointed out I used to do everyday but haven't much in the last couple months). 

    So, is it the Baltic amber working its magic? Is it just a placebo effect? Could it be the cheery Christmas season and the fact that I have 5 days of teaching left and then 2 glorious weeks away from my 347 sweet darlings? Is it my new yoga habit paying off? I couldn't tell you which (if any) of these is contributing, but I will tell you that I am overjoyed that I have smiled, laughed, and loved more this week than I have in a long time! 


    (I want to apologize for the annoying spacing in this post...I am not sure what caused it and I can't for the life of me figure out how to fix it on blogger...)

    * source: http://hyenacart.com/inspiredbyfinn/mt/713/14913/What-is-Baltic-Amber-How-Can-it-Help-Us

    1 comment:

    1. As a two-times-per-week acupuncture patient, I can relate :)

      ReplyDelete