Wednesday, January 18, 2012

I'm the broken one, but I can still dance!

Today was an exhausting day at work. A good day, but exhausting! For one thing, I have been staying up too late to see The Bee when he gets home. For two, I got my period today. Not really a surprise since I probably didn't ovulate, but sucky nonetheless. After school I had 4 kids working on sculptures and then a 7th grader came to help me sort some art.

My cell phone was out on my desk and I forgot to turn the ringer off today...thankfully no one called me during classes! After school, it rang. I answered and left the room because it was the clinic. They asked for The Bee, which caught me off guard. I said, "Well, I am his wife, can I help?" Then they said they had his test results. So I gave them The Bee's number and then texted him, "Clinic called me and I gave them your cell number...they have your results."

I got really nervous at that point and tried to continue photographing some art created by my kindergartners. I was distracted, though...What if we're dealing with fertility issues in both of us? What will we do? What if he is perfect and it is completely ME? Will he love me less? Will he look down on me? Will he blame me? Will I end up childless and ALONE, too? The negative thought tornado was spiraling and becoming bigger and full of more and more debris!

The kids were wrapping up the work they came in to do and all the art was sorted. Then the 7th grader said, "Mrs. Bird, I got this new game for Christmas for the Wii. It is super fun! Can I show you on YouTube?" I asked, "Is it a dancing game?" He said, "Yes, Just Dance 3!" Then I exclaimed, "I have Just Dance 2 and it is my FAV-OR-ITE!!" So he started looking up some videos of the game on YouTube and pretty soon I had a 7th grader and six 3rd graders (yes, 2 more heard the music and joined in!) dancing in my room, trying to follow the video on the SmartBoard (this is probably not the "learning" they intended to go on when they installed the glorious technology in our classrooms, but, hey, it was performing arts and valuable and FUN).

They kept trying to get me to join them and I said I would if we could do some songs from Just Dance 2. So before you can say Jack Robinson, there we were having a dance party in the Art room! Wouldn't you know that a dad came to pick up his kid like 5 seconds after I joined in the fun? It was embarrassing to say the least, but he just smiled and laughed and said, "Looks more fun than any art teacher I ever had!"

I packed up and headed home, checked the mail and then called The Bee to see if he'll be home for dinner tonight. He said he'd be home for a late dinner (aiming for 8:30pm tonight! I'm hoping!). Then I couldn't resist asking..."Did you see my last text?"

The Bee: Yes
Me: Did they call you?
The Bee: Yes
Me: Did you talk to them?
The Bee: Yes
(keep in mind he is in a cubicle at the time of this conversation)
Me: It was good news, wasn't it!? (smiling)
The Bee: Yes, everything was good!
Me: Did you write stuff down?
The Bee: Yes
Me: Good!

Then we chatted a bit more and I told him I am sorry that I am all messed up and can't have his babies. He told me that he loves me and things will be okay. Then I let him get back to work so that he can maybe, actually come home for an 8:30 dinner. And now I am typing this and having a beer (because you can do that when you aren't pregnant). And then I am going to play Just Dance 2 or veg in front of some Downton Abbey (because you can play video games and waste time on streamed Netflix when you don't have kids to tend to). Woe is me.

2 comments:

  1. That does sound like a fun afternoon in the art room! Smartboards are the best invention ever. Glad the SA results were good- one less thing to worry about! Enjoy your beer- thats usually how I "celebrate" starting my period, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay so glad he got a good report card! Sorry about the period, but glad you got good news (his results) to help make it a little less sucky?

    ReplyDelete