Thursday, January 12, 2012

Something to look forward to...

I got an e-mail today from a henna artist inviting me to do a gig with her in June! We have a connection through a family friend and she actually taught me how to do henna almost 10 years ago! This is extremely exciting for me...after a nightmarish experience teaching art at a summer program last year, The Bee and I decided I would NEVER AGAIN teach art in the summer! It was my 3rd year teaching the program at a school with dream-like art facilities (think 3+ sinks in every room as opposed to my sink-less classroom) and really generally nice kids. The main problem was that I had very large classes with huge age ranges...imagine classes of 30 students ages 6-15 in the same class...yes, kids entering first grade thrown in with kids entering 10th and all that's in between! Not sure why anyone would think that is a good idea!

The henna artist and I were in contact last year but I was unable to do the couple events she invited me to work due to my summer program and also a bit of traveling that I did. I was wondering if I had missed my opportunity because I had to decline more than once. I am thrilled and hope it works out! A part-time, event based summer job that is still art related but is not confined to a classroom with kids...sounds perfect!

1 comment: