Sunday, August 26, 2012

Crazy begins!

Tuesday I had a dentist appointment and felt Ponyo kick my hand for the first time while I was laying in the dentist chair. It was so surreal and weird! The Bee got to feel her/him move later that night. It made both of us feel reassured that our little one is growing and strong!

Thursday-Saturday The Bee and I were living at my sister and brother-in-law's house while they were in California. We (well, mostly I since it was my last week of summer break) took care of my almost-2-year-old nephew and made sure their cats had food and water. It was a lot of fun! Unfortunately, I only got a little school prep done while the little man was napping. Also unfortunately, their air conditioning stopped working Thursday afternoon and it was almost 90 outside (and humid, ugh!). We made do by keeping the back of the house (where the bedrooms are) closed during the day (it stayed pretty cool back there), running fans at night, drinking lots of water, and heading out multiple times a day to run errands in air conditioned stores. I also took my nephew to my Grandma's house for a visit with her, my Mom, my Grandma's 3 tiny dogs, 3 big cats, and tank of tropical fish. He loved that part of the day!

This morning my husband and I walked the 5K at the State Fair. This is the fourth year we have participated. He was so nice and walked with me the whole way. We still finished in under an hour, rewarded ourselves with ice cream (chocolate malt for him, strawberry-rhubarb sundae for me!), and checked out the student art show before heading home.

Tomorrow is the first day of teacher meetings/classroom prep for the new school year! It is also the beginning of my service on jury duty. I am hoping SO MUCH that I don't have to go to jury duty for the whole week. My classroom furniture just got put back in my room on Saturday (they replaced my ceiling and lights last week) so I haven't done anything in there to prepare for school! Yikes! I have all of the supplies I need for constructing sketchbooks for the kids at home, though, and plan on bringing bits and pieces of them to jury duty with me to work on. I just got a new bone folder that I am so excited to use for folding all of the book spines - last year I got blisters from all of the folding and burnishing!

Here ends the summer I was so lucky to have and begins the craziness of year 5 of teaching! I am so thankful to have a husband who insisted that I take this summer off even before we knew about endometriosis, surgery, and Ponyo. He really looks out for me!

2 comments:

  1. How exciting to feel Ponyo kick for the first time! And congrats on the 5k. Strawberry Rhubarb?!? That sounds really good. And kind of weird - was it good?

    Good luck with jury duty. I hope you get out of there quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an exciting feeling to feel the movement. Matt got to feel movement as we were laying in the camper bed on Saturday night. Welcome to my world with no AC it is just wonderful isn't it lol. Good luck on jury duty and the start of another school year!

    ReplyDelete