Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Making the announcement

We have yet to make a public facebook announcement. I think we will write something simple on Saturday, which is our 5th wedding anniversary. When we started ttc (exactly 2 years ago this month) I thought I would want to take belly pictures every week and would be very open with our pregnancy. Instead, we started out this part of the journey uncertain and afraid, wondering how our hearts could handle another let down if anything went wrong.

We have slowly told family and friends as we see them in person. Most of the time we share the whole story. The hope in the beginning. How we thought we would have a one-year-old son or daughter already. The months of tests and tears. The diagnosis. How I missed having surgery by one month. How incredibly lucky and blessed we know we are that we've been given the chance to be parents to this specific child at this particular time. We've recently made phone calls and sent texts to friends who have busy schedules and aren't able to get together. Our relatives and real life friends know now (all of the close ones, anyway).

We took one belly picture before my cousin's wedding when I was 14 weeks but haven't shared it. This is a much more intimate experience than I expected and I don't need the attention of others like so many of our acquaintances seem to. I haven't felt the need to shout it from the roof tops. I also want to spare people sadness. I know some of my friends and relatives on facebook are struggling with infertility and secondary infertility. When we were waiting, some announcements burned more than others. Some didn't burn at all. I still find this to be true. Isn't it funny how the same news, simply delivered in a different way, can have a completely different impact on people?

More recently, we've had a lot of joyful moments. We've chosen colors for the nursery, my husband talks to Ponyo everyday by leaning close to my belly and speaking in a soft voice, we have talked about names. My belly is clearly not just pudgy anymore. We weren't sure if I actually look pregnant yet, but a ticket scalper outside of the Twins game we attended last night made us very aware that it is obvious. He looked at us as we walked by and said to my husband, "When are you going to marry that girl and make this an honest relationship?" We were caught off guard but started laughing pretty hard. Then my husband lifted his left hand to show his wedding band and said, "Already taken care of!" We have our big ultrasound scheduled for September 12.

Thinking of all of you...hoping for all of you...praying for all of you!

4 comments:

  1. I hear ya on this being a more private thing instead of posting things all over facebook. The last pregnancy thing I believe I posted was our picture and that was it. I am not one to do belly pictures but maybe as time goes on I will but I don't think they will be posted. Yay for the decisions, we haven't made it that far yet. Names have been talked about but only the middle names have been decided. Are you telling or keeping everything hush hush?? Matt talks to Peanut and every time he does it makes my heart melt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should do what you are comfortable with. Every decision you make in life will supported by some and rejected by others. You just have to be true to you. That's all you are expected to do in life. Xoxo. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just have to say after reading this (and your last post) how sure I am of what a sweetheart you are...always wanting to spare anyone of news that would hurt them. To me, THOSE are the announcements that don't sting. You are exactly right about the delivery.
    625 is right- do what feels right for you. I'm sure it's easy to say you'll be/ act one way once your pregnant. Until it's reality it's hard to say how you'll handle it. No matter what you decide to do, I think you're an amazing person. XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha...I can't believe someone said that to you! That is too funny!
    I appreciate your view on your announcement, and completely agree there have been certain announcements that sting more than others. How sweet of you to continue to think of the feelings of those who are still struggling with IF.

    ReplyDelete