Monday, August 27, 2012

The juror that wasn't...

Well, I reported for duty about a half-hour early. Thirty minutes early even though I got lost downtown and asked a nice guy for directions (which he sweetly looked up on his phone for me!), and got my fork confiscated at security. I knew I couldn't bring weapons, scissors or knitting needles. No forks, either. Thankfully there were plastic forks in the lunch room so I still got to eat my salad at lunchtime.

Attendance was taken and orientation started about 45 minutes later than it was supposed to. Then we all sat around for a LONNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG time. I got all of my sketchbook spines folded for grades K-5 and read. Then some people were called from the pool. But not me. Then I read some more. Then a bunch of people were dismissed for the day and put on call for the rest of the week. Not me, though! Then we got a 1 hour and 45 minute lunch break where I got to eat my salad with a plastic fork. Then I read even more. Then they made us all excited by making an announcement that there were 2 trials needing jurors yet today. Then they said, "Just kidding!" and dismissed more people. This time I was included. So, I was dismissed about 45 minutes before my jury day was scheduled to end and now I am on call! On my way out of the courthouse, I got my dangerous fork weapon back and apologized and promised not to bring one tomorrow (if I even have to go!). So, I need to call the courthouse jury number between 5pm and 7:30am to find out if I need to report tomorrow morning. After all the sitting around today, I kind of want to be called back in! I'd like to see the inside of a courtroom! If I don't have to go in, that is good, too! Then I get to go to school with all of my co-workers and prepare for the school year.

We shall see what tomorrow holds!

*UPDATE* It turns out my group DOES need to report to the courthouse tomorrow. Things that will be different tomorrow: I will not get lost, I will not bring a fork, and I will bring more snacks for the long day of sitting in a windowless room! Do you guys think a stapler counts as a weapon? I'd like to bring mine to staple sketchbooks but don't want to get it taken away at security!

4 comments:

  1. I really wish there weren't any forks in the lunchroom because I would have liked the visual of you eating a salad with no utensils :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure a stapler is a weapon if a fork is. You could cause a lot of damage with some staples. Glad you are making it through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would go crazy sitting around like that. Like you though, I would love to see the inside of a courtroom because frankly I have never had the need to go to one and hopefully never will!

    ReplyDelete