Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Dreaded family photos

Almost two years ago, my husband's siblings and their families took family photos together. We opted out even though they invited us to join. Reasons we did not participate: 1. We had a busy weekend when they had it scheduled. 2. I was having allergies to everything under the sun and my eyes look horrible at the time (and I couldn't wear eye make-up due to the terrible allergies...totally not cool for a professional family photo shoot). 3. We were the only ones without children and we thought it would look weird to just stick us in there.

Last Sunday, we found out that they are doing a photo session together again this fall. We were invited and my mother-in-law mentioned that the pictures from 2 years ago would be perfect if The Bee and I had been in them. We said we would do it this year as long as we don't have another commitment that day. Then my mother-in-law and one of my sisters-in-law asked me to think about color combinations that might look good for the outdoor, autumn shoot.

I obliged and posted some useful links on my sister-in-law's facebook wall. All three of his sisters and I have had kind of a running conversation under one of the links to share our opinions about what we think would look best. I suggested greys, whites, and a pop of yellow. My mother-in-law and 2 sisters-in-law liked that and they also like brown and orange. Then someone suggested that each family have a color. I am fine with that, even though they all have kids and we don't. I suggested that we choose a common neutral (i.e. blacks and greys) and then each family uses pops of their color in elements like shoes, headbands, sweaters, scarves, etc, so we all coordinate but there is connection between immediate family without being matchy-matchy or looking cheesy.  Everyone thought that sounded perfect and then my sister-in-law, who is due this month with her third child, commented

...or maybe the babies could wear the color?

Maybe it is me being overly sensitive, but (probably against my better judgement) I commented,

So, no family color then? And The Bee and I won't have any kids/babies yet in October.

I don't think that was too mean to point out, but The Bee isn't home to calm me down and I was thinking, "Really? Excluding us again?" And I don't even know what "the babies" means since there will be 2 teenagers, 3 toddlers, and 2 infants between the four couples at that point. So, 2 infants in color? Or 3 toddlers and 2 infants in color? Or 1 toddler and 2 infants in color (this option would be having the youngest in each of their families in color). And The Bee and I in black and grey. I think that would look stupid. Having 8 adults and 2 teens in black and grey and everyone under 4 years in color? Am I overreacting here?

4 comments:

  1. Babies in color is stupid. Sorry to be blunt. Even if she meant 3 toddlers and 2 infants in color, it's dumb. Pops of color in your original suggestion sounds perfect! (and there is NO way I would wear a neutral without some kind of color anyway!) Accessories in color will add a pop without being gross matchy. I would have been offended too, but I get that some people just don't think. In this case I guess she just had a bad suggestion that wasn't thought through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh family pictures. The last family pictures we had was our wedding but his mom has hinted at the idea of getting them done and how she would like that for a Christmas gift. Don't get me wrong easy peasy Christmas present but ugh. I like the suggestion of the greys/blacks and then each family have a color and if that family wants to dress their kids in the color then I say let them but they will be the ones who look weird not you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, in-laws can be difficult! Family photos are great, but I totally get where you're coming from. My hubs and I are definitely left out on both sides since we have no children and others do. It stinks. Stand your ground girl!

    ReplyDelete