Monday, August 20, 2012

Is this a test?

Two years ago we thought we would have a baby in the spring of 2011. This is typical teacher planning...get pregnant in the summer/early fall and have your baby in the spring/early summer so that you have the summer off with the little one and can take off some additional time at the beginning of the school year. Maximum time home with minimal issues at work. Oh, we were such fools! As if most people can actually plan that! For the people that it works for, there is a lot more luck involved than anything else!

When we failed to get pregnant that first summer and fall, we decided to keep trying despite a due date being at a different time in the school year. We didn't care about convenience...we cared about having a baby! Well, as most of you know, it took 21 cycles of well timed ttc. Although, to be honest, by cycle 18 we scrapped the "we must bd NOW" for, "this week should be the week, so we'll try to if we can but we won't bite eachother's heads off if the timing doesn't match up perfectly with our NFP chart" (since "perfect timing" hadn't done a darn thing for us, with my anovulation and all!). We were waiting for July or August before getting our hopes up again since my surgery was scheduled for June. Now we are having a baby in January! The worst time for a teacher and for my husband's profession, too! We are not upset (obviously, who would be after infertility!) but it does pose some challenges that we weren't anticipating.

A few weeks ago, a co-worker of mine was chatting with me about everything going on in our lives. He smiled at me (as I was getting a little anxious about work, jury duty, maternity leave, The Bee's work schedule, family stuff, etc...) and said, "If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans."

God is either giggling away up there or He is watching us closely to see how we handle some of the stresses we've been dealt recently. Currently my main stress is the upcoming school year. My contracted year starts next Monday. August 27-31 are days of teacher training and preparing our rooms and materials for school to start after Labor Day. Instead of heading back with all of my co-workers, I will be downtown sitting at the county courthouse waiting to see if I get called in to serve on a jury.

Okay. I can handle that. I'll go in this week and set up my room early. Just kidding! My falling down classroom ceiling is being replaced this week. The ceiling that was supposed to be replaced before I even started working there in September of 2008! And it is being replaced NOW when I need to go in and set things up and cut paper and make seating charts and hang bulletin boards and put together sketchbooks for over 250 K-5ers and make over 300 portfolios and cut out 40 art eyeglasses for my new K's. Oh, but you say the ceiling might be done by Wednesday? Great. That doesn't help me. I'll be watching my 21-month-old nephew (so, yes, he can run and climb things) Thursday morning-Saturday morning while his parents are in California (I agreed to do this BEFORE JURY DUTY AND THE CEILING entered the picture!). Well, maybe I can go in in the evenings when the ceiling crew is done for the day? NOPE. The old ceiling is made of asbestos tiles and you need special gear to safely enter the room once they disturb it.

It is looking like next week I will be serving jury duty 8-4:30, busing home (it costs like $25/day to park downtown...even at the courthouse ramp! I'd rather bus for $6 round trip), eating dinner, driving to work and setting up my room until I am too tired to do more. That is my Monday-Friday. Arg. I am stopping by work today to drop off some paper work and, if they are doing the music room first, I am going to try to sneak into my room to get the sketchbook supplies so I can work on them at home. I know I will survive this, we have been through much worse, but WHY CAN'T THINGS JUST GO SMOOTHLY FOR US SOMETIMES?

No comments:

Post a Comment