Tuesday, August 7, 2012

We will be okay

When I was growing up my Mom attended La Leche League (LLL) meetings (at least after having my youngest three siblings). I remember her taking a whole crew with her when #4 was born (I was 7 at the time) and had a lot of fun playing with all of the babies and other kids. For those of you not familiar with La Leche League, it is an organization that states this as their mission:

"Our Mission is to help mothers worldwide to breastfeed through mother-to-mother support, encouragement, information, and education, and to promote a better understanding of breastfeeding as an important element in the healthy development of the baby and mother." source

Breastfeeding has always been my plan for when I have kids, so when my older sister invited me to attend a LLL meeting with her I thought, Why not? Maybe I'll meet some working moms and be able to pick their brains a little. So I went with her this morning. As I, my sister, and my nephew were walking up to the church where they meet, the LLL leader was also walking in with her 9 month old daughter. My sister introduced me to the leader and she seemed really familiar but I wasn't sure because we were all wearing sunglasses at that point. After chatting on the walk in, the leader asked me, "Did you used to work at a library?" I got really excited and said, "I THOUGHT it was you! Yes, how have you been?" For almost 7.5 years prior to getting married I worked at the county library and this woman, we'll call her "L", started working at the same library as me about two years before I left to get married and start student teaching. We haven't seen each other for almost 5 years when she attended my wedding in August of '07!

She told me she has been well. She has 3 daughters now (the one born when we worked together is now 6.5 years old! Crazy!). Then she laughed and said, "It is so neat to see you! You know, you were the one who told me about La Leche League when I was pregnant! And now I am a group leader!" I vaguely remember that...I think I brought it up when she was feeling anxious about nursing and coming back to work. I told her about LLL and said something like, "I bet they'd have some good information about pumping so you can still nurse when you go back to work."

Being reminded of that conversation made me feel better about if I have to return to work before fall of 2013. At least I know I will be able to find some support from LLL! I had my meeting with my principal yesterday and he seemed very supportive but did say he would need to consider if I can take the whole year off. It sounds like he is mainly concerned about finding a substitute that he feels can do a good enough job from January-June (can you say ego boost?). Just to make sure it wasn't a money thing, I asked if the school would be losing money if I didn't come back until fall of 2013 and he said, "The school would actually be making money the longer you have a sub. But you are good at what you do and that would be a long time to be away, especially if we don't find someone who can do what you can do with the kids!" I think I made it clear that I would prefer not to come back earlier for my baby, for my family financially, for myself mentally/emotionally, and for my students because I know my attention would be very divided April-June if I have to leave a 3-month-old in the hands of a stranger. I told my husband about the meeting and he didn't seem too concerned. He said we'd make things work no matter what, and then he kissed my belly and talked to Ponyo a little.

We will be okay!

No comments:

Post a Comment