Sunday, August 5, 2012

Mish mash

We got back from our vacation a week ago and things have been a bit busy. I haven't posted any pictures yet because, between our camera and our friends' camera, we have almost 600 pictures to sift through.

Two nights ago I did my first henna event so I spent the better part of the week making my henna, rolling cones, and drawing a poster so that people would be able to pick from some nice designs. It was a charity event that a high school friend was involved in. The organization teaches youth in the city about social justice and acceptance through the visual arts (right up my alley!). It was an unpaid job (for charity, duh!) and people paid 5 tickets (which was $5) for my designs. I didn't get any pictures because I didn't have time to pull out my camera and, besides, it was kind of dark since my henna booth was up near the stage where live music was going on all evening.  I had a blast and thought, "Hey! I can really do this!" Maybe it will be something I can pursue more next summer!

Last night my husband and I had the maternity leave talk again. I will meet with my principal tomorrow morning to discuss what I'll be doing and how everything will go this year. The Bee and I are 99.999999...% sure I'll be taking the rest of this school year off after Ponyo arrives and then return to school fall of 2013. With how little I make (and how many hours I work) it wouldn't be worth it to put a 2 or 3 month old in full time daycare for 2 months or so just so I can finish out the year. I am feeling pretty good about this decision but we are going to discuss it some more today so I am prepared for the meeting tomorrow!

Also at tomorrow's meeting I need to talk to my principal about jury duty! My summons was postmarked the day before we left for vacation. Ugh! So, I have jury duty beginning on the same day that my contracted 2012-2013 school year begins. Thankfully it will be workshop week (teacher training, setting up classrooms, etc) and not actual instruction days with kids yet. Best case scenario: I show up the first day and sit around until I am dismissed at 4:30 then am on call for the rest of the week and never get called in! I'll be setting up my classroom a week earlier than everyone else just in case I have to be at the court house everyday during workshop. I am hoping I do not get put on extended trial as I really, really do not want to miss the first days or weeks of school. Some of you know my hatred of making sub plans...PLUS I don't get paid while on jury duty...PLUS I love the beginning of the school year! I love seeing my returning students and meeting the new additions to our school!

That is pretty much where things are with me!

Now for some prayer requests...

Please keep these wonderful women in your prayers:

1. Amanda, who is having egg retrieval for IVF today!

2. Erika, who is recovering from a laparoscopy for endometriosis.

3. L, who may be triggering for IVF today.

4. Laura, who is waiting to get back to ttc and has an appointment with a new RE Sept 13.

Happy Sunday! Wishing all of you a great week ahead!


4 comments:

  1. Welcome back! Glad you had a nice vacay...at least I would assume it was with 600 pictures, haha! No camping horror stories? :)

    That sounds like a great plan for maternity leave- I'm sure you'll never regret that decision! I bet your henna was amazing too.

    Thank you so much for the prayer request! I'm on pins and needles until September, although sifting through my medical history and filling out new forms will keep me occupied!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow 600 pictures! Cannot wait to see some of them. I am pretty sure my mom stayed home when she had my brother in March and I believe she stayed home through Christmas break with me when I was born in October. I am taking at least 1 extra week when Peanut is born.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad y'all had a fun trip and that the details are starting to work themselves out with maternity leave... it will be here before you know it, I'm sure! And THANK YOU for the prayer request- that means the world to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blown away by 600 pictures!!! Whoa!! Can't wait to see some of them! I think your maternity leave plan sounds perfect. And thanks for the prayers-- I will definitely take all I can get! :) I want to see pictures of the henna, too!!

    ReplyDelete